Promoting Healthy Lifestyle and Disease Prevention (Pro-HEALD) is a project aim to engage and empower individuals and communities to choose healthy behaviors. This project will be implemented in Ganawuri Community in Riyom LGA, Plateau State, North-Central Nigeria within 9 months (October, 2020 – June, 2021).
According to WHO, 60% of related factors to individual health and quality of life are correlated to lifestyles. These lifestyle forms unhealthy behaviour that has led to severity of chronic diseases and other morbidities. Millions of people follow an unhealthy lifestyle. Hence, they encounter illness, disability and even death. Problems like metabolic diseases, joint and skeletal problems, cardio-vascular diseases, hypertension, overweight, violence and so on, can be caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. The relationship of lifestyle and health should be highly considered.
We hope to achieve the following goals on the completion of this project:
• Increase knowledge about healthy behaviors for the community;
• Improve positive health behaviors and outcomes;
• Reduce the development and severity of chronic diseases and other morbidities;
• Influence modifiable risk behaviors;
• Influence social norms.
• To educate the communities on healthy practices and disease prevention;
• To encourage, make available, and enable healthy choices;
• To teach several strategies for integrating health promotion and disease prevention perspectives into everyday practice;
• To empower individuals to change or improve their health conditions;
• To empower behavioral change and actions through increased knowledge.